1. Try to avoid dark shoes with straps as they visually shorten your legs.
2. Go for:
- nude shoes, if you wear nude hosiery;
- black shoes, if you wear black hosiery;
- the same or almost the same color shoes with dresses of elaborated designs, bright colors or with bright, flashy patterns;
- shoes and clothes of contrasting colors, if you want to draw attention to your feet so that shoes will be an accent in your outfit.
3. The lighter and thinner the fabric of your dress, the more open your shoes should be. And vice versa, as the fabric becomes thicker, the more closed the shoes should be.
4. Dresses made of thick fabric also look good with thick heeled shoes. Moreover, thick heels are also good if your legs aren't very slender. The finer your legs are, the thinner the shoe heel should be. If you have big calves, go for thicker heel shoes.
5. If you wear a floor-length dress and it covers your shoes, this does not mean that you shouldn't pay attention to the right choice of shoes as well. Besides, make sure that the heel does not catch on the dress hem.
6. A common mistake many women make is putting together an elaborate dress with elaborate shoes. There should be only one focal point in an outfit.
7. Another common mistake is wearing black footwear with all dresses. For light-colored clothes choose light-colored shoes.
8. And the most important thing to remember is this: the style of your shoes has to be linked to the style of your dress so that they tell the same story.